piatok 27. novembra 2009

Linux & LightScribe

I have laptop HP EliteBook 8530p and I would like to use LightScribe feature of my DVD burner in Linux (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala).

As I found out, there are two software tools:
  • LaCie LightScribe Labeler for Linux (4L)
  • Simple Labeler from Hewlett-Packard
Simple Labeler is able to etch text to LightScribe-enabled DVD. User can choose font type. Operation takes 2-3 minutes. LaCie is able to etch images, what is more powerful and the result is more professionally looking, but operation takes longer - 20-30 minutes.

Click here for more detailed article.

But there was one problem - installation deb-files were not available for 64-bit architecture, what is my case. Here is an workaround, e.g. when installing Simple Labeler, I needed to install 32-bit libraries first, and then force installation of 32-bit deb files:

ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ sudo dpkg -i --force architecture lightscribe-1.18.9.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
Selecting previously deselected package lightscribe.
ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ sudo dpkg -i --force architecture lightscribeApplications-1.18.6.1-linux-2.6-intel.deb
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
Selecting previously deselected package lightscribeapplications.
ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liblightscribe.so.1 /usr/lib32/
ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/liblightscribe.so /usr/lib32/
ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ sudo ldconfig

Then I started Simple Labeler this way:

ostry@elitebook:~/Install$ /opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler

I found this workaround here.

In december, I will test these tools in more detail.

---

Yeah, december is here ;). I need to install also LaCie. I found this howto for Ubuntu:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe. At first, I backed up my most important data, as recommended. Then I issued this command in directory containing file 4l_1.0-r6_i386.deb:
sudo dpkg --install --force-architecture 4l*.deb
sudo ldconfig
and run LaCie this way:
sudo 4L-gui
It seems, that both tools are working all right.

Žiadne komentáre:

Zverejnenie komentára